Update: Girls, some of you had written to me saying that these might contain high lead content. While I love the fact that they’re cheap, nothing is more important than your health. There are ways of testing lip colours for lead content at home such as this. I’ve also heard about a gold ring test but that apparently is just a hoax according to this article. Either way, it’s best to be wary of these things and make an informed decision.
Liquid lipsticks continue to rule the makeup world, serving as a major power accessory to celebrities and matte-lipped Instagrammers alike. It came as a surprise to no-one when Kylie Jenner’s lip kit became one of the fastest selling makeup products in history. Many over-excited teens shed tears of woe when they were unable to get their hands on the makeup product of the decade. Others scrambled to find cheaper alternatives in brands like ColourPop and NYX. But, many of us Pakistanis just witnessed all the drama from afar. Since most (if not all) of these brands aren’t locally available, making our way to the local cosmetic store isn’t much help. We have to wait for the friendly relative willing to bring them from abroad or find Facebook pages selling them for a profit. Even the more affordable brands like ColourPop which originally cost $6 or approx PKR 630 end up costing us over PKR 1000.
So you’ll be happy to know that Pakistan has it’s very own brand that produces some pretty great liquid lipsticks. If you haven’t heard of Clazona before, you’re not alone. I only came across it recently (after having spent quite a bit on other brands!). But boy, am I glad I did!
Here’s what I discovered
- It only costs PKR 160 (approx $1.60).
- It’s available in a lot of different shades from nudes to the more adventurous darker hues.
- It has an ultra-pigmented matte formula which slides on like a dream. It’s wet while applying and dries in a few minutes.
- It doesn’t dry up your lips (a lot of other brands like Colorpop tend to suck out all the moisture from your lips). I didn’t even have to put on any primer before putting this on.
- When they call it a 24 hour matte lipgloss, they aren’t kidding. It stays on FOREVER. I actually had to scrub it off with a lip scrub at the end of the day. If you don’t own a lip scrub, you can learn how to make your own here.
- It comes with a doe-foot applicator which makes it easy to put on.
- Oh and did I mention how cheap it is?! Okay yeah, I know I already said this but I can’t get over it. You could snag 10 of these babies for the price of ONE Kat Von D or Kylie Liquid Lipstick.
- They don’t mention the ingredients anywhere so you don’t really know what you’re putting on your lips. This makes me a little uncomfortable.
- It doesn’t come OFF. I feel like this is a pro AND a con. While we all love our long-lasting lip colours, we do like taking them off at the end of the day. This one can develop quite an attachment to your lips and prove to be quite stubborn to get rid of.
- So this is one con I haven’t experienced myself because I’ve only been using these for about a week. But I feel like it’s worth mentioning here so you can make an informed decision. Some girls have said that it can make your lips dark. I can’t vouch for this so far but it could be a possibility with long-term use, perhaps? There’s also the fact that many products can react differently to different skin types. So this one remains to be seen. I’ll keep you guys updated.
- I’m not a huge fan of the scent. Thankfully, it’s not very strong and dissipates after a while.
Now for the good part. Here are 5 Clazona colours that are ultra-cheap replacements for some of the most expensive liquid lipsticks out there. Also, the fact that they’re locally-made and available at most big department stores (I got mine from the cosmetic section at Imtiaz) adds even more to their appeal!
1) Clazona 509
This darkish nude by Clazona is brown with a slightly pink undertone and is almost exactly the same colour as the Kylie Cosmetics Dolce K Matte Liquid Lipstick or ColourPop’s Ultra Matte Lip in Teeny Tiny.
2) Clazona 525
This vibrant red can give any of these colours by high-end brands, a run for their money:
3) Clazona 504
4) Clazona 520
6) Clazona 506
My personal favourite is this deep plum-colour. It looks great when you wear it and is the perfect dupe for Vintage by Anastasia Beverly Hills, Hangry by Tarte, Bad Habit by ColourPop or Fetish by Lime Crime.